Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Let's Talk About This: Austin

Discovering Austin

Let's talk about this city that likes to keep things weird. Here are five interesting things I've noticed:

1. Reusable bags

Austin established an ordinance that 'regulates the types of bags that can be provided to customers at checkout'; basically, bring your own bag. Geaux Austin for reducing waste!


But a while back, Andrew and I went to HEB and I had forgotten my bags. He managed to find an old Kroger plastic bag in his car and he couldn't wait to go into the store. He thought it was hilariously clever that he was using a competitor's plastic bag, especially in the presence of a marketer. The cashier looked confused when we gave her the Kroger bag and Andrew couldn't get that smug look off of his face for hours after leaving the store. After living in Portland when they also introduced the plastic bag ban, he has religiously used reusable bags back home in Pasadena, TX, but there's something about being in the city of his rival university that brought out the rebel in him. Aggies... So, when we got food to cook for lunch the next day, he was an acquiescent LSU fan.

2. Deer

 

I always see a herd of deer across my apartment complex around dusk. It's pretty awesome.

3. Tolls/service roads
via Wikipedia

What is it with Texas and its tolls??? I'll occasionally pay the $2-$3 fee for the Beltway in Houston, but I have no desire to get a TxTag. I've heard it costs commuters ~$600 a year to use the tollways. I've found a few free exits for my commute to/from work, but avoiding the 290 Toll is tricky. I do think Texas got the service roads right, especially with the Texas U-turns, wish more states had those. My only problem with the service roads are the parts where you have to cross the other lane of traffic to get onto the highway. Am I the only one freaked out by that?


4. Food Scene (and their lines)

This ain't Maruchan!
mm al dente pasta + bolognese
The food scene in Austin is AMAZING! The lines not so much. My friends have taken me to at least three places that had ridiculous lines: HopDoddy, Amy's Ice Cream and Ramen Tatsu-Ya, but it was worth the wait! They've also taken me to 360 Uno Trattoria, which is recognized for its authentic Italian cuisine. It makes me sad that I won't be able to try everything Austin has to offer before I leave.

5. Stand Up Paddleboarding 


Andrew and I enjoy kayaking, so we go to the Rowing Dock as often as possible, but I finally dared to try the popular Stand Up Paddleboarding. Conclusion: ehh. Perfect for folks who have dogs, want to do yoga (we saw a guy do a headstand on his board, pretty impressive!), or want to increase their chances of getting wet, but I think I'll stick to kayaking. I love the rush I get while kayaking, but it takes so much more effort to feel 'productive' while standup paddleboarding. The water activities in Austin are great. Can't wait to go tubing or to Barton Springs! 

Austin, you amaze me! #dellinterns13

1 comment:

  1. The food though...OMG. I think Texas has great food in general (I'm admittedly biased) but we do have extra fantastic food in Austin. Maybe that's why we're such a fitness oriented city as well? Have to work off those Hopdoddy's chili cheese fries somehow!
    -Jane Burson

    ReplyDelete