Monday, June 17, 2013

Pay Attention to the Opportunity, Not the Risk

Lesson #1

At 21, I was scared I would graduate and not get a job. At 23, I was terrified of the huge risk of leaving my first big-girl job. Now at 24, I've learned that taking risks is only a problem for people who don’t try to find opportunities. I hope this means I’m on track to be a wise business professional.

Not all 2010 college grads had the luxury of multiple good job offers, so I took the first one that came disregarding whether or not it was a good fit for me. They say “A job is a job!” but after a few months, I realized I made a big mistake in my naive assumption. 22 was a roller coaster ride of feeling like a rock star to being paralyzed by the feeling of failure over and over again plus a few loops.  No amount of schooling could have prepared me for the politics that caused so much misery; I wanted to work, not play poker.

I bid adieu to the corporate world to pursue a Master’s en route to the PhD. in Marketing that I've wanted since my 2nd year at LSU. But then life threw a curve ball when my MS-MKTG program at Texas A&M required I do an internship. At career fairs, I steered clear of many big corporations; I wasn't ready to be just another cube in the Tower of Babel again. But, I took a chance on Dell and I've realized that a bad job can haunt you, but a good job can help you heal. I've only been at Dell for about a month, but I've found sweet solace in Dell’s culture and value offering; my team has been so supportive and my work is fulfilling.

Sometimes we go through life wondering if we did the right things. But, it takes courage to acknowledge when you’re in the wrong place and confidence in yourself to know that the risks do not outweigh the opportunities for a better life.


So, I didn't necessarily learn my first lesson at Dell, but on my way here.

Tomorrow's blog: Let's Talk About This. #DellInterns13

6 comments:

  1. I appreciate how you risked the agony of defeat rather than staying where it felt reasonably safe. Thanks for being real!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow...what a story! More power to you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah..I feel the same way. To me, it's more like taking a leaf of faith to do something you like, coz my parents want me to pursue a PhD degree so bad.

    ReplyDelete
  4. *leap..typo..:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah..I feel the same way. To me, it's more like taking a leaf of faith to do something you like, coz my parents want me to pursue a PhD degree so bad.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yea..I feel the same way. To me, it's more like taking a leap of faith to do something you like, coz my parents want me to pursue a PhD degree so bad.

    ReplyDelete