Wednesday, June 19, 2013

La Fortuna Aiuta Gli Audaci

Lesson #2

I thought I was going to write a story about overcoming the challenge of living with a disability. It turned into a story about overcoming anything instead.

I first met Francesco Tuzzolino at orientation, but we actually had our first conversation after we moved into the same row of cubes. While he was talking, I was shocked to see he didn't have a left hand and it was a distraction for the rest of the conversation; I felt awful for the childish desire to stare when I knew I should be respectful. When people with disabilities are treated as if they're fragile, I've seen them get aggravated. So, the next day I thought I was doing him a favor by asking about the elephant in the room. I've since learned a valuable lesson on tact; it was kinda like that awkward moment in the movie 'Love Actually' when Sarah bluntly asks Mark if he loves Peter in case it was the 'right question' and it was definitely the wrong question. Anyhow, I had to get Francesco's story.

As a kid, Francesco was eager to help his family's shirt business in Sicily, but when a bad investment failed, he had to find his own way to success. He claims he had no social life while studying business and economics at the University of Palermo. Despite limited funds, he was able to study abroad in Ireland and then three months in Spain after he graduated. "I was resourceful," he explained with a grin. Eventually, he took an opportunity to work for the Italian consulate in Houston where he learned how to be diplomatic. Afterwards, he closed contracts for the world's 2nd largest shipping company, a role that helped him realize his ability to bring business in and make sure everything 'proceeds smoothly' as if he were a guardian angel.

Francesco is now pursuing an MBA at the University of Michigan and he currently works in Social Media Insights and Targeting within Dell. But when he's not a business professional, he is DJ Tuzzo Martini. Known as "Francesco and his Walkman" as a kid, he has since DJ'd for the Museum of Fine Arts in Houston, Versace, Mini Cooper and private parties. He is also a marathon runner, a long-distance cyclist, a tango-dancer, and a magnificent chef. Francesco joked that in his previous roles, he was three different people: a salesman during the day, a student in the afternoon, and a DJ at night. Yet, he considers himself a normal person. When I asked about his inconvenience he said, "Who cares?"and then continued sipping his famous espresso.

I thought the toughest thing he would face in his life would be dealing with how to live life not completely whole, but it's clear to me that he lives life to the fullest.

So my second lesson from Dell is from Francesco Tuzzolino: ""La fortuna aiuta gli audaci - if you're bold enough and you try, good things are going to come. If you limit yourself without a hand, you're left behind." I'm not the only person who couldn't believe he does so many things, but his story is one of perseverance and refreshing positivity. Grazie, Tuzzo! #DellInterns13

3 comments:

  1. Sheila,

    I have found the richest lessons I learn are from the people around me. Everyone has a story. And every story resonates with us somehow. Being willing to take the time to listen and learn is really where it's all at. Thanks for sharing!!

    Renae

    ReplyDelete