Thursday, June 27, 2013

The Friendly Fitness Intern: Will Abbott

He helped me do my first (modified) push-up!

What's the worst part about a fitness assessment? When they pinch your body fat. Ugh, can't we just agree that it exists? No need for details. I will admit the fitness intern made that a painless experience, but I don't know if I can forgive him for convincing me to go on the treadmill at 3 mph on Level 10 incline. We shared a few laughs throughout the assessment and I realized I knew nothing about the guy who learned so much about me in just 30 minutes. So I fixed that.

Will Abbott graduates in August from Southeast Missouri State University (SEMO) with a degree in exercise physiology. Coming from a military family, he's lived all over the US and he was surrounded by athletes in high school. After his experience with personal trainers during his high school track career, he wanted to work with athletes. But after a few classes at SEMO, he realized that corporate fitness provided more stability than relying on a client base. So he applied for an internship with Medifit, a fitness and wellness management and consulting company, and landed at Dell.

Dell is actually the biggest Medifit site in the US with fitness centers in both Round Rock and Parmer as well as the Dell site in Nashville. "I like corporate; everyone's so nice. It's great!" he said while working on his new project. He launched a BFF Program where you and a buddy make a fitness commitment and you can earn prizes for your workouts. If you're not a member, but your buddy is a member, then this is a great opportunity to try out the Well at Dell fitness center for free!


In addition to the fitness assessment, Will also designed an exercise program for me and he has always been supportive. "I've gotta be a fitness role model. I can't smoke and tell someone not to smoke. If I don't run, then they won't listen to me when I coach them on how to run," Will said about his fitness philosophy. Will's brother, who has completed multiple Ironman Triathlons, is his fitness role model, "He's always been a runner and he got me into cross country."

Will is an intern at Dell, but not for Dell. He hasn't even gone past the cafeteria. But when I asked for any last comments, he said, "I want to say thanks to everyone for being so nice and welcoming. All of the Dell members have been super friendly."

So you know what the worst part about a fitness assessment is, but what's the best part? Finding out I'm healthy with room for improvement and making a new friend. Congratulations on graduating in August and good luck, Will! 

#dellinterns13

1 comment:

  1. Great piece! I'm shocked more team members don't take advantage of this inexpensive on-campus resource! Everyone who works there is great, and that definitely includes Will.
    -Jane Burson

    ReplyDelete